A ground-breaking online course designed to help you plant in your life – and/or help others plant in theirs – simple, effective, proven practices to improve mood and quality of life. This course is a great introduction to Positive Psychology, helping you become familiar with foundational practices for personal use and/or for passing on to others. The course is recognised by the Association for Coaching for 20 hours of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) training time.
We have two versions of this course – a live-webinar based course runs from January to March each year, and then from March, a recorded version of the course is available for the rest of the year, which people can start at any time and engage with at their own pace.
The course involves three key elements:
- A series of eight webinars (60 – 75 minutes each). Each session includes a mix of new content, discussion, experiential practice and group coaching.
- An online learning resource with summary tutorials, downloadable handouts, audio downloads, video links and a group discussion forum.
- A home practice element, where you’re invited to try out a different wellbeing practice each week, this being linked to the theme of the webinar.
The Positive Psychology Foundations are based on the PERMA model of Well-being, described by Prof Martin Seligman in his book Flourish. Our model is PERMA+. We’ve added an extra P, R & M to give a thorough grounding in and experience of the most important dimensions of positive psychology.
- Session 1. Positive Emotions: introducing the feel-good factor of hedonic well-being characterised by positive emotions and life satisfaction. We explore the ‘broaden & build theory’ of positive emotions and scientifically-grounded practices that build positivity such as gratitude and savouring.
- Session 2. Engagement: This session introduces the other dimension of authentic happiness – eudaimonic well-being. We cover two forms of engagement. ‘Flow’ is the state of being ‘in the zone’ and strengths – the characteristics and talents that make up the positive self.
- Session 3. Relationships: Research reveals that the people who are happiest tend to have good close relationships and active social lives. This session moves from the personal to the interpersonal, exploring ways to nourish our relationships and build networks of mutual support.
- Session 4. Resilience: We’ve added an extra R for Resilience, a core ingredient of positive psychology. This session looks at how to deal with emotional dips, apply the ABC of flexible thinking, cultivate realistic optimism and bounce forward from adversities.
- Session 5. Meaning:What gives life meaning & purpose? We explore the deeper happiness of eudaimonic well-being, considering the role of spiritual perspectives and larger frameworks of meaning in promoting mental health.
- Session 6. Mindfulness: We’ve added the M for Mindfulness as this practice is a proven natural antidepressant, with benefits not only to mood, but also to memory, focus, relationships and health. This session introduces practices that are simple to apply and that might only take a few minutes each day. We also look at related approaches, such as Kindfulness, Mindful Self-Compassion and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
- Session 7. Achievement: How to make change and progress your life. We look at the science of goal-setting and using optimistic thinking for success.
- Session 8. Physical: We’ve added the P to reflect the importance of the Physical dimension. We’ll look at how body-focused practices can form an essential part of an integrated Positive Psychology wellbeing programme.
Here’s what past participants said about the course:
“This course far exceeded my expectations; as well as a weekly webinar with two leading positive psychologists, there is a wealth of resources which can be accessed long after the course ends. Miriam and Chris give freely of their knowledge, wisdom and support to empower participants to take control of their happiness and to help others do so.” Carol Marler Life Coach
“I would recommend the Positive Psychology Foundations course to anyone who wants to take responsibility for their own happiness. The course encourages action as well as contemplation… if you follow the very simple practical tools that are recommended on the course you can’t fail to improve your own wellbeing and hopefully the wellbeing of those around you too.” Laura Knightly Brown
“Miriam and Chris are very attuned trainers and present a wealth of stimulating material in an accessible way. Some of the tools I have been introduced to on this course have had a powerful effect on my outlook and I have been recommending them to friends.”
Angela Hill, UK
“This course offers not only an introduction to key concepts and applications of positive psychology, but also a platform for discussions and examples of applying exercises to real life situations. The expertise and excellent moderator skills that Chris and Miriam displayed were amazing.”
Dr Abraham Salinas, USA.
The great thing about having this course online is that you can do it from the comfort of your home. Because it is all recorded, it doesn’t matter if you can’t make all the live sessions. You can easily catch up afterwards – and return to the material whenever you need a ‘top up’ in the future.
The eight webinars, plus additional videos and material on the online resource, lead to 20 hours CPD accredited by the Association for Coaching, with two leading Positive Psychology trainers, and we’re awarding a Positive Psychology Foundations Certificate to those who complete the course.
This course is an ideal fit for you if you’d like to become more familiar with a range of positive psychology based practices that help improve quality of life, and to also nudge yourself to use some of these practices on a regular basis.
This course is also a great next step if you’d like to train as a Positive Psychology practitioner or apply Positive Psychology practices in your work. Experiencing your own personal positive psychology practice is perhaps the best foundation for passing these practical life-enhancing skills on to others.
The recorded version of the course is available for £245. There is a concessionary rate of £170 available for those in economic hardship, on a low-income or full-time students. This is available on request (please contact us using this contact page). The recorded and live versions of the course offer the same material and are the same price. Please let us know using the contact page which version you’d prefer.
You can book your place via PayPal below – PayPal accepts debit/credit cards and converts currencies where needed (please contact us if you’d prefer to pay via direct bank transfer or cheque). If you have any problems with this link or would prefer to pay by direct bank transfer, please email us using this contact form.